Founded in 1927 by Robert Ainsworth, the office operated as a sole proprietorship and undertook institutional, industrial, and residential architecture. Mr. Ainsworth designed many of the finest civic buildings in Pasadena, CA, and single-family residences throughout the San Gabriel Valley.
Robert McClellan joined the company in the early 1950s and, in the ensuing years, helped to expand the realm of architectural work to commercial and mixed-use projects. The architecture firm operated as Ainsworth & McClellan.
Adolfo R. Cruz and Frederick J. Gaylord joined the office in the mid-1960s. The company continued to expand to more diverse architectural projects, and in the early 1970s, upon the retirement of Mr. Ainsworth, incorporated the office as McClellan/Cruz/Gaylord & Associates.
In the late 1990s, McClellan/Cruz/Gaylord & Associates was incorporated as MCG Architects.
In 2007, the company was transitioned from Frederick Gaylord to Scott Hoffland, Kevin James and Brian Tiedge. Then, in 2010, the corporate headquarters was relocated from Pasadena, California to Cleveland, Ohio and was incorporated as MCG-HJT, Inc., dba mcg architecture and mcg architects.
Originally, the work focused in Southern California. Since 1970, the work has expanded to 49 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The architectural services have commensurately expanded to address the requests for overall land planning and interior design and production.
In summary, the office, as McClellan/Cruz/Gaylord – MCG Architects – mcg architecture has been providing quality architectural services for nearly six decades. Considering the original beginning in 1927, the office can proudly cite stable and uninterrupted professional service for over 90 years.